Yes, it is possible to change or terminate spousal support orders


If your divorce entailed a spousal support order and your income has changed significantly since then, you may be carrying a burden that you cannot sustain. For thousands of people throughout the country, spousal support orders become unfeasible to comply with once their income decreases or their expenses expand well beyond what they were when the order was handed down.

There’s good news and bad news for those who wish to modify or terminate their spousal support obligations. The good news is that reducing or ceasing your payments altogether is possible, if you take the correct steps to petition the court. The bad news is that you must follow a very specific series of requirements in order to receive a modification or termination of spousal support, and failing to do so can land you in an even worse position than you are now.

Spousal support modifications are fairly common (and child support modifications, for that matter), but too many individuals who need them wait to pursue them until the situation is already spiraling out of control. This process takes time, and while you wait for approval of your petition, you must continue to honor your current obligations as much as possible. Failing to do so can impact your chances of seeing your petition approved or leave you with debt that you must repay even after your approval of the modification

If you need a modification, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced attorney who can guide you through this process and protect your rights. With proper guidance, you can ensure that you pursue the modification that truly fits your needs and avoid unnecessary setbacks along the way.

Source: California Courts: The Judicial Branch of California, “Changing (or Ending) a Spousal/Partner Support Order,” accessed Aug. 16, 2017

2022-04-04T18:39:05+00:0016 Aug 2017|
Go to Top