Having an attorney can be an advantage to anyone in Ladera Ranch, CA involved in family law within any of the capacities listed above. Whether you are initiating a family law case or answering another party’s filing, don’t underestimate the value of having an attorney to guide you and advise you every step of the way. If you are currently looking for the right attorney to represent your case, below are some important questions to answer about attorneys you are interviewing to help you find the ideal attorney with whom you can feel confident and establish a relationship with to maximize and optimize the outcome of your case.
- Does the attorney have a focus on the practice of family law? The answer should be yes. You wouldn’t want a lawyer who doesn’t have experience in family law representing your case.
- Will the lawyer be personally handling your case? You should have a personality match with your attorney in order to establish a trusting relationship. You will want to know who you will be working with.
- How do they approach child custody cases? Make sure the attorney you select will advocate for your child’s interests, as well as be understanding of the needs of your family.
- How do they communicate with clients, and how will the attorney keep you updated about your case? Make sure your attorney can establish a means of communication with you so that you can stay in touch amid their busy schedule.
- What are their fees, and how do you collect payment? Make sure you are clear on the attorney’s fee schedule and collection schedule.
- What is your assessment of my case? The attorney should have a general idea regarding the approach and legal solutions they will take and what possible outcomes could result.
Q: What Is the Difference Between an Attorney and a Lawyer?
A: The words attorney and lawyer are often used interchangeably and rightfully so because, in most cases, anyone who is an attorney is also a lawyer, but technically, a lawyer is more of a universal term for anyone who practices law, while an attorney, on the other hand, refers to someone who has been officially admitted in a particular jurisdiction to practice law.
Q: How to Find a Lawyer?
A: To find a lawyer, you must first establish what type of lawyer you need. Then ask around in your circle of friends and family if they can recommend anyone who practices the particular area of law you need or knows anyone who has experienced a legal matter that may be able to recommend one to you. If not, look around locally in your area for a lawyer and call around with a short list of questions that pertain to your inquiry. For instance, ask for references, rates, and any other specific questions you have that can help you narrow down your options.
Q: What Does a Family Lawyer Do?
A: A family lawyer practices family law which involves family relationships, including marriage, divorce, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, division of property, alimony, paternity, child support, protective orders, adoption, annulment, and other types of cases. They also offer mitigation and mediation services that can help avoid court for families involved in divorce or custody cases.
Q: How Much Does a Family Lawyer Cost?
A: Depending on the type of case, its complexity, and whether or not it will require litigation, the typical retainer fee for a family lawyer in Ladera Ranch is between $3,000 and $5,000. A retainer acts as a deposit, and the hourly rate of the lawyer is deducted from the retainer as hours are spent working on the case until the retainer is depleted. If additional hours are needed to complete the case, a secondary payment will be necessary.
If you’re ready to take the next step with a family law attorney, the Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC, is equipped to take on your case and help your family get through this tough time, so everyone can move. It is possible to get a divorce, establish custody, get a child support order, or whatever legal issue you are having in a way that isn’t a war of the roses. Contact the Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC, and find out how our legal services can help you facilitate legal solutions for your family law needs.