Q: What does family law mean?
A: Family law is a practice area of civil law concerned with issues and disputes affecting family relationships. A Huntington Beach family lawyer can inform you of your rights and explain how the law applies to your case. They can draft and file legal documents like court petitions or prenuptial agreements and represent you in settlement negotiations or court hearings.
Q: What are the types of family law?
A: A family law attorney may specialize in a few distinct areas of family law or offer a wide variety of legal services. Family law cases can involve the following issues:
- Marriage contracts (such as prenuptial and postnuptial agreements)
- Cohabitation, civil union, or domestic partnership agreements
- Marriage dissolution (divorce, separation, or annulment)
- Termination of civil unionsor domestic partnerships
- Alternative dispute resolution and mediation
- Property division
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Spousal support
- Domestic violence and protection orders
- Juvenile matters (such as child abuse and neglect)
- Termination of parental rights
- Emancipation of minors
Q: How much do family law attorneys charge?
A: Family law attorneys in California bill hourly for their services and charge approximately $300 to $500 per hour. The total cost of a case depends on the specific issues at hand, the attorney’s experience, the complexity of the case, the amount of time it takes to resolve, and the level of cooperation among the involved parties.
Q: How is spousal support calculated in CA?
A: Spousal support is calculated based on the following factors:
- The length of the marriage
- The health and age of each party
- The income, assets, obligations, and tax consequences of each party
- The needs of each party based on the standard of living established during marriage
- Whether the earning capacity of the recipient spouse is sufficient to retain this standard of living
- Whether the recipient spouse contributed to the paying spouse’s education, career training, professional licensing, or position
- Whether the recipient spouse experienced prolonged periods of unemployment so they could devote their time to child raising and other domestic duties
- The ability of the paying spouse to provide support to the recipient spouse
- Any criminal convictions for domestic violence offenses perpetrated by one spouse against the other
Family law cases involve many complex factors and can become even more difficult without legal guidance. It is natural to feel uncertain and overwhelmed, but you don’t have to face these issues alone. The Dorie A. Rogers can help you understand your rights, explore your options, and navigate your family law matters successfully. Whether we can secure a favorable settlement through negotiation or must take your case to trial, you can count on our team for comprehensive, compassionate legal representation. Contact us today to speak with our Huntington Beach family law lawyers about your situation.