What must I do to get my support payments altered?

By |2022-04-04T19:03:08+00:0026 May 2016|Categories: Child Support|

What must I do to get my support payments altered?

It is extremely important for a divorced parent who has child support obligations to fulfill those obligations to the best of his or her ability. These agreements are legally binding and failing to meet the requirements could result in serious legal and financial consequences.

Therefore, it is very important to try to make sure that the terms of these agreements are achievable. This is because the terms will become embedded in the final divorce judgment, meaning they are enforceable by the court.

However, sometimes a support payer’s personal circumstances can change, which may necessitate a modification of the terms. For example, if you are paying support and are laid off from work, you may not be able to keep paying at the rate stated in the agreement.

So how can you get the amount of support payments modified to accommodate your new circumstances? Well, typically, you will have to file what is called a “motion to modify” the judgment. In most instances, this motion will be filed with the court in which the divorce was filed and the judgment was rendered.

It is then up to the judge to assess your motion and decide whether to grant the modification. As such, it is very important for you to demonstrate that the modification is justified. Remember, your spouse may offer counter arguments in an effort to prevent the modification.

So, when seeking a modification of a divorce judgment, you may benefit by having an experienced family law attorney working on your behalf. The attorney could help you demonstrate to the court that you have valid reasons for filing your motion. Remember, in addition to child support, modifications can also be made to other aspects of the divorce such as visitation, custody arrangements and alimony.

About the Author:

Dorie Anne Rogers - The Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC
Dorie A. Rogers, a Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California, has been an attorney since 1981 with an exclusive family law practice located in Orange County. She is accepting dissolution cases with support and property issues including the use of forensics to ascertain business value, community interests and to establish monthly case flow analysis. Ms. Rogers has substantial experience in high conflict custody litigation involving sophisticated psychological issues. She drafts premarital and postmarital agreement designed to define and establish parties' separate and community property interests. Paternity cases and domestic violence matters are considered part of her practice. Ms. Rogers is a court-approved and court-appointed to represent minor children.Ms. Rogers consults with individuals concerned about entering or exiting a relationship. She advises effective strategies for dissolution or premarital planning. Knowledge is power and good planning affords better results.Specialties: Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California
Go to Top