What documentation should I obtain for my adopted child?

By |2022-04-04T16:49:36+00:0008 Sep 2016|Categories: Family Law|

What documentation should I obtain for my adopted child?

When you adopt a child, you are offering to share your home with someone who can really use the love and security that a family can provide. And if you are on the verge of finalizing the adoption, there are a number of steps you can take that will help expedite the transition. One primary concern is getting some of the important paperwork in order.

The child’s birth certificate is a key piece of documentation you will want to secure. Depending on the circumstances of the adoption, getting a hold of the birth certificate could take some work. But without the birth certificate, the child could later face difficulties when attempting to acquire a passport or other such documents.

You also want to get in touch with your insurance company. If all goes well, the day the child comes to live with you, he or she will be covered by your plan. But you want to submit all the required documentation, such as the adoption petition, as required by the insurance provider.

Additionally, find out if your insurance provider places any exclusions on pre-existing conditions. An adopted child who is eligible for a subsidy to cover special needs costs may be able to receive benefits through Medicaid.

Your child will also need a Social Security number. If the child already has a number, it may be possible to use a new birth certificate to retain that number and have his or her name changed on the account. Or you may need to get the child an entirely new number. But the child will have to have a Social Security number in order to be claimed as a dependent.

Adopting a child can bring many wonderful changes to your life, but the process has its complications. A California family law attorney may be able to offer you the advice and guidance you need to finalize your adoption so you can begin your new lives together as a family.

About the Author:

Dorie Anne Rogers - The Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC
Dorie A. Rogers, a Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California, has been an attorney since 1981 with an exclusive family law practice located in Orange County. She is accepting dissolution cases with support and property issues including the use of forensics to ascertain business value, community interests and to establish monthly case flow analysis. Ms. Rogers has substantial experience in high conflict custody litigation involving sophisticated psychological issues. She drafts premarital and postmarital agreement designed to define and establish parties' separate and community property interests. Paternity cases and domestic violence matters are considered part of her practice. Ms. Rogers is a court-approved and court-appointed to represent minor children.Ms. Rogers consults with individuals concerned about entering or exiting a relationship. She advises effective strategies for dissolution or premarital planning. Knowledge is power and good planning affords better results.Specialties: Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California
Go to Top