Can you change that child custody arrangement?

By |2022-04-07T18:41:56+00:0002 Jan 2019|Categories: Child Custody|


You’re not happy with the way that your child custody arrangement was handed down by the court and you want to change it. Is a modification even possible or are you stuck with what the court decided?

It is possible, though experts warn that it is also rather difficult. Typically, the court will assume that the original decision about child custody was the correct decision. Just because you don’t agree with it does not change this line of thinking. They’re often reluctant to alter the schedule or reconsider the case.

That said, the court does always look out for the best interests of the child. If the requested modification lines up with those best interests in some fundamental way, they can technically alter the arrangement. This may be true when circumstances have changed since the first ruling. They’re more likely to make an alteration in the face of these changed circumstances than simply because a parent wants a change.

For instance, perhaps you did not have a job at the time of the first ruling. Now, you have a job offer, but it’s not in California. You would like to move because taking that job allows you to provide for the child. It will drastically increase the child’s quality of life. However, you’ll need greater custody rights and permission to move the child away from the other parent.

This is just one example, but it helps show how the key is to understand what the court is looking for. If you can show that your focus is also on the child’s best interests, you may be able to secure the modification you’re after.

About the Author:

Dorie Anne Rogers - The Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC
Dorie A. Rogers, a Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California, has been an attorney since 1981 with an exclusive family law practice located in Orange County. She is accepting dissolution cases with support and property issues including the use of forensics to ascertain business value, community interests and to establish monthly case flow analysis. Ms. Rogers has substantial experience in high conflict custody litigation involving sophisticated psychological issues. She drafts premarital and postmarital agreement designed to define and establish parties' separate and community property interests. Paternity cases and domestic violence matters are considered part of her practice. Ms. Rogers is a court-approved and court-appointed to represent minor children.Ms. Rogers consults with individuals concerned about entering or exiting a relationship. She advises effective strategies for dissolution or premarital planning. Knowledge is power and good planning affords better results.Specialties: Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California
Go to Top