Set aside child support payments for education

By |2022-04-06T14:55:50+00:0011 Sep 2018|Categories: Child Support|


Receiving child support payments from the other parent of your children can help you raise them properly in California. When you receive these payments, it’s imperative that you use them properly. If you don’t, you could find yourself without the right amount of money to provide for your children. Make sure you set aside child support payments for education.

One of the first things you can do is open a savings account and earmark it for educational use. Each month when you receive a child support payment, you can deposit some of it in this account. By saving a little bit of the payment each month, you will be able to build the account for later use.

Investing in your child’s future is important, especially when you are receiving these payments from the other parent, which will not last forever. Child support payments typically end when the child either graduates high school or reaches the age of adulthood. Adulthood can be 18 or 19 depending on the circumstances.

Another way to put child support money aside for education is to open a 529 savings account for your child. This is an account that allows parents and guardians to deposit money that is earmarked for a college education. These plans are usually sponsored by individual states and are named as such because they were formed by Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Child support payments in California do not technically have to be earmarked for anything in particular. Despite this, it’s important to make sure you have enough money set aside for the educational future of your children.

About the Author:

Dorie Anne Rogers - The Law Offices of Dorie A. Rogers, APC
Dorie A. Rogers, a Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California, has been an attorney since 1981 with an exclusive family law practice located in Orange County. She is accepting dissolution cases with support and property issues including the use of forensics to ascertain business value, community interests and to establish monthly case flow analysis. Ms. Rogers has substantial experience in high conflict custody litigation involving sophisticated psychological issues. She drafts premarital and postmarital agreement designed to define and establish parties' separate and community property interests. Paternity cases and domestic violence matters are considered part of her practice. Ms. Rogers is a court-approved and court-appointed to represent minor children.Ms. Rogers consults with individuals concerned about entering or exiting a relationship. She advises effective strategies for dissolution or premarital planning. Knowledge is power and good planning affords better results.Specialties: Family Law Specialist, Certified by the State Bar of California
Go to Top