A referral from someone who has had a positive experience is often the case. More and more people are using the internet to locate a divorce attorney. However, you should still make these inquiries, to list a few.
- the attorney’s length of time in practice,
- percentage of practice devoted to family law
- experience with your type of issues
- familiarity with the judges in your court
- the office policy for returning your calls
- whether you will have input regarding decisions in your case
- the ability of the attorney to listen to you and his or her rapport
- beware of guaranteed outcomes or promises
- psychologically aware of family dynamics and children
- how many trials or hearings has the attorney had
- does the attorney’s client base consist of both genders
The list is not all inclusive and you should be comfortable in relating to your attorney. Remember, your attorney is your employee.
Financial records: Tax returns, bank statements, money market account statements, corporate books, profit and loss statements, pension statements, and credit card statements, promissory notes, to name a few.
Real Property: If you own real property whether situated in California or outside, copies of deeds of trust, lease contracts, appraisals and mortgage statements would be needed.
Agreements: Any signed Premarital, Post-marital or Cohabitation Agreement is necessary as it defines and may limit your rights.
Custody: Records relating to custody vary. The children’s school records, a spouse’s criminal history, domestic violence or drug and alcohol abuse would be important in some cases where it’s at issue.
“Dorie is a very powerful attorney and a great asset to have on your side in any family legal matter. She is extremely bright and insightful, and I got everything I asked for in my lawsuit.”
“I would strongly recommend Ms. Dorie Rogers for any legal needs. During my Divorce proceedings, Dorie’s professionalism, expertise in Divorce Law and legal skill helped bring my case to a close in both a timely and mutually agreeable manner.
Additionally, Dorie took the time to understand me and my background to better represent me in my case. She showed a level of caring and concern that helped me through a very difficult time. She is an outstanding lawyer and wonderful person.”
“Second to none – I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Dorie to anyone. She was my attorney for my divorce and custody case. She will do everything it takes to get the job done and all with a smile on her face. Her knowledge and expertise will assist anyone in a family law situation get the results they want.”